Window Treatments

Today I am grateful for the ways people in recovery share a common language and a common hope. And for my sense of hearing, and the comfort of typical morning sounds I hear now.

I am also grateful for the various window treatments in our home. We have ones that are easy to close, others that are a little harder to get to. We have retractable blinds that give us a full window when we want it, and full closure when we want that.

I appreciate blinds and curtains as I wind down a day and darkness descends. Privacy feels safe, our house feels secure. And as a new day begins, I welcome the day and the new light by opening what I closed the night before.

This all brought thoughts of window treatments and how they could also mean how I am treating the view as seen from the window of my perception. Is my view closed or open? Am I seeing what is in front of me, or am I trapped in the drawn shades in the corners of my mind?

Opening and closing shades and curtains takes some effort. Keeping an open mind certainly takes effort as well.  It is all effort well worth it though. My view, and my healthier perception, expand and there is more beauty to take in. And to give out.

Comments