Stream of Life

Today I am grateful for the simple pleasure of eating peanut butter and jelly on toast. I am also grateful for the soothing sound of rain from inside my home with a roof, windows, and dry floors.

I came across this quote right as we were spending time on some beaches along the Oregon Coast:

"The same stream of life that runs through my veins night and day runs through 
the world and dances in rhythmic measures."  
(Rabindranath Tagore)



This is Neskowin Beach. Seeing the ocean and witnessing the tide, the sounds, the smells, the changing light as the day progresses, are all a real treat for me. I grew up and live in the Midwest. I only visit the ocean and that has only been a handful of times. The awe of nature is all around, but sometimes we notice it more when we go to places we don't often go.

As I walked along the beach, sometimes alone, sometimes with others, I pondered the stories behind the rocks and driftwood that washed ashore. I soaked up the sun and the calming nature of the waves coming and going. Like our lives, sometimes things are calm and sometimes they are stormy. But I don't appreciate shelter in a storm as much if I don't first appreciate the beauty in the quiet.

It is all very humbling to me. My tiny role on this planet. The flow of oceans, rivers, and jet streams.
The gratitude that abounds, even in difficulties. All are part of the stream of life. As humans, we are small in it all, but not small in the difference we can make.

What can I add to the stream of good in the world today? 



Comments