Mesmerized

Today I am grateful for a good start to the new year at the school where I work, and all the positive energy there among staff and students. I am also grateful for rest in a warm bed.

As I pondered feeling words that start with "m", the word mesmerized came to mind. To be mesmerized is to be enthralled, captivated, transfixed. I talk about paying attention a lot in terms of what gratitude practice is about. Mesmerized is a deep level of attention.

I am mesmerized by nature. I am often on a run or walk when outside, so I am not fixed in one place, but I can still be fixed on the awe-inspiring sights, sounds, and smells of nature. I look forward to fall coming. It is my favorite season. Sitting for a time outside is a treat on busy days. I will strive to make time.

I am mesmerized by running. Stride by stride. Footfall by footfall. I definitely feel I am in flow when I am running, especially after I have been underway for a few minutes and have a rhythm down. This is why running clears my head-the steps and the breaths pull me in and the thoughts filling my head sort of dissipate, replaced by clearer, less cluttered thoughts.

Good conversations mesmerize me. These tend to happen just between two of us, but I have been part of mesmerizing conversations with a group as well. The full attention of all, the facial expressions, the deep level of sharing and trust all capture connectedness. And that is a wonderful feeling in a world that can be divisive and surrounded by technology that can be isolating.

Gratitude practice mesmerizes me, even if just momentarily. It calms me and it brings me back to the here and now, which as far as I can tell is the only place I can truly feel mesmerized anyway.

What's your take on mesmerized?

Comments

  1. Music - I can listen intently and relax to it, especially classical. Love reading about your runs. I can see you when you were in high school running in track. Memories.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment