Normal Day

Today I am grateful for our son Sam and the nice meal he prepared for Father's Day. I am also grateful for the way writing helps me clarify my thoughts and feelings.

Here is a quote to consider on this Monday:

"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in the quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow."
(Mary Jean Irion)

I appreciate these words and that regular gratitude practice has taught me more about what this quote really means. Each day is a gift. If I am always in pursuit of better days, I am missing the goodness in today, regardless of what is going on.

None of us knows how many days we will get. We make assumptions. We take things for granted. It often takes a shock, a mishap, a diagnosis, a full-blown tragedy for people to again be reminded of what priorities we have and what really matters most.

Interestingly enough, the woman who wrote the quote above, Mary Jean Irion, has had many people assume her name was spelled Iron, not Irion. Read here for more information about that. 

Today's lessons: Don't assume you know the correct spelling of a person's name. And don't assume today is just a day to get through on your way to a better day.

Make today a better day! 

Comments