The Pace of Nature

Today I am grateful for friends in recovery who are there when I reach out. I am also grateful for the words that find their way out of my head and onto pages.

In recent days, we have had a rainy evening and a rainy morning. Not just a shower moving through, but hours of fairly steady precipitation. In both instances, plans needed a little adjusting. But they weren't big plans and flexibility was pretty easy.

Even if it wasn't easy, flexibility would still have been necessary. The weather requires it, especially where we live.

This quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson furthers the idea:

"Adopt the pace of nature. Her secret is patience."  

It's going to rain as long as it will rain. That flower will bloom when it is ready. The fruit on the trees will ripen in their own time.

In an age of instant gratification, which arguably is eroding us in many ways as individuals and as a society, let's take this reminder from nature. Patience. 

I can't train for a marathon in a week. But I can't beat the awesome feeling of crossing a finish line after running 26.2 miles, and that after training for months. I can't build a solid relationship with another person without time and effort being invested, and plenty of face to face communication. 

Patience. Seek it for yourself. Give it to others.

Comments