Clotheslined

Today I am grateful for a couple nights of sleeping with the windows open, after a stretch of oppressive heat. I am also grateful for phone conversations and perspective.

When I think of clotheslined, I think of my childhood clotheslines and literally being clotheslined. Luckily, no one was seriously hurt, but my siblings and I all probably had a run-in with our clotheslines at least a few times. Most people think of sports now when they hear "clotheslined" and think of cheap shots to the neck area that take someone down.

But how about being clotheslined in the figurative sense; caught off guard and being knocked down by circumstances? In a recent 3-week stretch I had 9 medical-related appointments and procedures. Two different areas were being looked at. One checked out fine. The other has me scheduled for surgery. I will spare you the details and also mention that I feel very fortunate that what I am dealing with is manageable. It's a setback, but hopefully a temporary one. I think about people with far more challenging and threatening health concerns and it helps keep my situation in perspective.

It evokes memories of my cancer diagnosis, surgeries, and treatment. And it makes me so grateful for the nearly five healthy years I have had since then. Sure I had some frustration and anger about all of this. It was short-lived though. I am saving my energy for surgery, recovery, and healing.

What started with my yearly physical now has me looking at hernia surgery later this week. I am also grateful that I have not had painful symptoms with my hernia. And I do appreciate my doctor and the fact that she pointed out the obvious. Read more about her here. It's been a curve ball though, and of course there is always some fear and worry with surgery and recovery. I am trying to go in feeling strong and prepared, and with a mindset that I will need to take it easy and be kind and gentle with myself in my recovery.

For a time, I won't be able to do some of the things I take for granted. Like running, like lifting boxes to move them, like laundry and vacuuming. Hopefully, it will be short-term, but it will still be a challenge for an active person like me. Apply gratitude liberally Lisa. That will help.

Comments