What a Month!

Today I am grateful for the perspective that my life experience offers me. I am also grateful for a clean pathology report from surgery.

One month ago yesterday, August 12, I had my annual physical. That started a string of appointments and procedures over the next three weeks. Read about that here. One week ago yesterday I had exploratory surgery in my lower right abdomen. What was potentially a hernia ended up being a lymphocele.

I am recovering well from surgery and my energy is returning to a more typical level for me. I see my surgeon for a follow-up appointment next week. Running will have to wait awhile yet, but I am walking and moving well.

Along the way, two different areas of my body were being looked at. One of the procedures I had was a biopsy. It ended up showing no concerns. The wait was brief then, and I wasn't too concerned. But it was a relief to get the word that area #1 of my body was fine and wouldn't need to be further addressed. Clearly something was going on with area #2, so we proceeded with surgery. Because it wasn't a hernia, where they repair and put mesh in but remove nothing, they did end up removing some tissue. When anything is removed, it is always sent to pathology to be checked over. The CT scan I had didn't show anything "suspicious" and the surgeon said things didn't look "suspicious" after surgery. "Suspicious" brings fear of cancer.

So I recovered from surgery and then by mid-week this week waited to hear about pathology results. Again, my mind would flash back to my cancer diagnosis five years ago. I wasn't freaking out. I wasn't thinking the worst, but that little area in the back of my mind from time to time would say "What if it is something? What if this is just the beginning?"

I am happy to say it is the end. Yesterday, September 12,  I heard the news I had been waiting for. The pathology report was normal. Whew! It was nice to have what they suspected as no concern be confirmed as no concern. I still may have to deal with this issue and some post-surgery effects, but I'll take this. It is the end of a month that came out of nowhere and threw me for a bit of a loop.

I am left feeling grateful for things like:
*a good recovery from surgery
*a clean pathology report
*family and friends who care
*prayers and positive thoughts that were sent my way
*relief and a sense of "onward!"
*all the appointments and surgery being a distraction from my job
*my job being a good distraction from all the health stuff
*the care given me by medical professionals
*my husband Darcy's consistent support and understanding

And I end by thinking about and offering a prayer for those who didn't get good news on pathology reports this week. Those who are struggling post-surgery. Those who have lost mobility or range of motion. Those who don't have the support of others to help them through life's challenges, big and small.

Comments