Pain in Perspective

Today I am grateful for my job and my co-workers. I am also grateful for my son Sam's teachers and the energy they put into what they do.

As I recover from surgery, I have been thinking about pain. I have actually had limited pain with this surgery and the days since. I am walking comfortably. The incision area is healing, and though I can feel it, I wouldn't call it painful. It itches and twinges, but to me those are signs of healing. I only needed pain medication for a day. I have been able to sleep fairly comfortably. For all of this, I am truly grateful.

I am not at my usual activity level and I miss running, but I am mobile and pretty much
pain-free. I try to keep it in perspective. There are people who deal with chronic pain who have far more physical challenges than what I face now. How difficult and draining it must be to deal with significant physical symptoms day after day. I have nothing to complain about.

But there's also painful thinking. I probably suffer from that more than physical pain. Fear, worry, anger, exhaustion, impatience, hurt pride, and lack of acceptance can plague me. Sometimes all at once. That means self-pity is kicking in and I need a dose of gratitude.

Thankfully, practicing habitual gratitude keeps a steady dosage on hand. Gratitude helps me keep physical pain in perspective and painful thoughts at bay.

Comments