The Words and Music of Linda Ronstadt

Today I am grateful for the energy and leadership of focused teens and an effective trainer. I am also grateful for the brisk morning air and a brisk walk to go with it.

Last Friday, Linda Ronstadt was the "Person of the Week" on ABC Nightly News, interviewed by Diane Sawyer. I grew up listening to her music on albums, playing them on the turntable in our console stereo. (Albums and console stereos--anyone under the age of thirty probably can't conjure up an image of either.) 

Linda Ronstadt was a huge music star in the 1970's. She had eight consecutive platinum-selling albums and won 11 Grammy awards over the course of her career. The album I listened to over and over was her "Greatest Hits" album from 1976. One of my favorite songs was "Love is a Rose." Listen to the song and see the album cover here.

Some of her final words in the interview with Sawyer were these:
"I can walk and I can talk. It's a good day."

Ronstadt, age 67, revealed recently that she has Parkinson's disease. She is no longer able to sing. A great voice is gone. Her symptoms impact her and slow her down in other ways as well.But she seems to keep it in perspective with the words above.

Those words embody the power of gratitude. Instead of looking on the dark side, Ronstadt chooses to focus on the bright side. I think I will try to do the same today.

Comments