First: The Great People

Today I am grateful for safe travels with the 7th grade students from my school, to and from Deep Portage in northern Minnesota, and for a good experience for the students from start to finish.

I am also grateful to be back home with my own family.

I had the opportunity to work with and get to know some great people in the last few days. Their greatness comes simply from their genuineness, individual diversity, and enthusiasm.

The first group would be those seventh graders. I am just getting to know these students and their personalities, their strengths and their difficulties. A trip like this, three days and two nights, gives them the opportunity to see one another and the adults around them in ways different from what they see in school. These young people were spirited and curious, but they were well-behaved and they reminded me what it is that I like about working with middle school students.

We got plenty of fresh air and exercise together, shared several meals, and got to share in many fun and educational activities. It's always interesting observing the social dynamics of this age group as well. When I got tired or a little impatient, I reminded myself that these are other people's children. How do I want other adults to treat my son? I appreciate gaining a comfort level with students that I will have the pleasure to work with over the next two years.

The second group of great people were the staff at Deep Portage. (Check out more about Deep Portage here.) From the environmental educators who worked most closely with the kids, to the kitchen staff, and the administrative personnel, they helped us have a good experience from the time we arrived until the time we left. The group facilitators shared their passion for nature, respecting it and conserving it, but they also shared their idea of a good time. Their energy and their knowledge base kept the kids interested and engaged, and that says a lot when you are working with 12-year-olds. The food was delicious and healthy and the facilities were clean and useful.

The third group of great people was a small group; my school colleagues and fellow chaperones Mary and Tim. We have worked together for years, and Mary and I have done trips like this together many times. It is nice to have colleagues that I can feel comfortable with and know that between the three of us we taking care of the kids and the little details. We got to share in the activities and have some of our own conversations too. We also shared the duties, some coffee, and some secret chocolate.

I am feeling tired this morning, but appreciative of the experience and the great people I came in contact with.

Comments