Moving Meditation

Today I am grateful for rest and for a nice evening to watch a football game last night. (Go White Knights!)

Moving meditation. Prayer and mindfulness on the move. I recommend giving it a try if you haven't. Taking a gratitude walk is a form of moving meditation; tuning in to the sights and sounds, the footfalls, the air, the world around you. In other words, the stuff we miss when our heads are too full.

I grew up Catholic and had plenty of prayer time on my knees with folded hands. I balked at that some as I grew older. And today I believe you can pray anywhere, at anytime, in any fashion you choose. The keys are an open heart and mind, and an intent to connect with a power beyond yourself. But I came back to my knees for prayer because I found out it helped me gain some humility, which tends to be a crucial component of productive prayer and meditation.

So most mornings, I do some praying on my knees. Today, I took my prayers to the trail as I walked our dog. I am an active person and being mobile is something I try not to take for granted. Moving meditation allows me to be grateful, to say thanks as I move along. I was thinking of others facing challenging times right now, and I matched my footfalls with thoughts of them. I felt the connection.I felt positive energy.

If this sounds a little "out there" to you, I would just encourage you to try your own form of moving meditation. Maybe you like to garden. Pull a weed, say a prayer. Maybe you like to fish. Listen to the silence as you wait for a pull on your line.

I am so grateful for the many others who have taught me about prayer and meditation over the years. I am grateful for the strategies and actions that I try to put in to practice. They work if I work them.

Meditation, moving or not, brings me back to this moment. Just like gratitude practice does. Both remind me that all I need to do is take this day one step at a time.

Comments