About those Miracles

Today I am grateful for my husband Darcy and our marriage as it grows and evolves. I am also grateful for the unique individual our son Sam is becoming.

Yesterday I ended my post with this quote: "Don't quit before the miracle happens."

I first heard those words from someone working on recovery from alcoholism. They weren't talking about a big miracle. They weren't talking about being cured. They were talking about miracles like not taking a drink today. Miracles like picking up the phone and reaching out instead of isolating. Miracles like being able to look in the mirror and not turn away in disgust.

Miracles like quitting smoking after praying for the strength to do so for a full year. Miracles like being comfortable in my own skin. Miracles.

Quick fixes don't often happen and if they do, they don't often last. I work daily on my daily disease of alcoholism. I have many tools to use and I try to keep them in good working order. I also rely on others and faith to help me in this daily work.

But this quote is applicable in many situations, including gratitude practice like I mentioned yesterday. It was a miracle when my first thoughts started being less about "poor Lisa" and more about "blessed Lisa." Blessed to be alive. Blessed to get another chance at all this. Blessed to feel a little better about myself.

Is there an area in your life that could use a miracle? Start working on it. Start facing it straight-on. Stop the paralyzing fear and take action. That is where miracles start.

Comments