Patience

Today I am grateful that my surgery went well, and for the anesthesia option that has me feeling better post-surgery than I would be feeling if I had had general anesthesia.

I am also grateful for the medical personnel who helped me from the time I arrived at the surgery center until I left the center about 6 hours later.

Patience is on my mind today. It was on my mind yesterday as I waited for surgery. Memories of my previous surgeries came back to me, with gratitude for the healing that took place then and the health I have enjoyed in the last five years. But some of the memories I could do without. The IV going in. The surgical gowns. The OR. That helpless feeling of being a patient, definitely not in charge of your day.

Patience is needed over the next few days and weeks as I heal and get my energy back. Patience to slow down and take it easy. Something that doesn't come too naturally for this active, always-on-the-go-doing-something person. But if I learned anything as a cancer patient, I learned that rest is so important to recovery, and that baby steps of improvement and progress are to be celebrated.

Patience, or lack thereof, is something I can always be working on in many areas of my life. Today, I will appreciate the lessons of patience that come my way.

Comments