24 Years of 24 Hours at a Time

Today I am grateful for my son Sam as he begins 6th grade and I am grateful for traditions like chocolate chip waffles.

I am also grateful for daily recovery from alcoholism and the many wonderful people I have gotten to know as part of this journey.

Today marks 24 years of sobriety for me. Twenty-four years of trying to take life twenty-four hours at a time. To throw in another 24, I began this recovery journey at age 24. I feel so deeply blessed and fortunate to be on this path. I didn't get on the right track by myself and I don't stay on the right track alone. I have many people who teach me, encourage me, show me the way. A heartfelt thank you to each and every one of you, regardless of how many twenty-four hours we have known one another.

Here's the secret that isn't a secret. Alcoholism or not. Addiction or not. Living life one day at a time is the way to serenity, to presence, to mindfulness. Here and now is all any of us truly have. Are you paying attention? Are you focusing your energy the only place it really matters? In today.

In keeping with the 24 theme, here's a list of reflections:

Things I don't miss in recovery:
1. hangovers
2. blackouts
3. wasted money
4. spinning beds
5. lost respect
6. guilt
7. self-hatred

Things I am learning more about or experiencing more of in recovery:
8. surrender
9. faith
10. serenity
11. acceptance
12. patience
13. grace
14. discipline
15. physical health
16. mental health
17. emotional health
18. spiritual health
19. my true self
20. God/Higher Power

Things I am forever grateful for in recovery:
21. my husband Darcy's support
22. fellow recovering people to light the way
23. my spiritual advisors who are also truth tellers
24. the promise of each new day

Twenty-four years ago, I had a hard time looking in the mirror. I did not care for the person looking back at me, in more ways than one. Today, I am comfortable in my own skin, comfortable with my reflection in the mirror. That is amazing in and of itself. It didn't happen overnight. It happened in 24-hour segments, with the help of many. One day at a time, my thought processes and choices changed. Then my perception of the world changed. Gratitude has been a significant part of that change.

But it still comes down to daily work for a daily disease. It still comes down to putting productive energy in this day, not losing energy on yesterday's regrets or tomorrow's fears.

And as a wise person said: "Don't get so many years that you forget the days." This anniversary is worth noting, but what really matters is giving myself to recovery each new day. What really matters is being grateful for the gift of today, this 24 hours. I will strive to make the most of it.

Comments

  1. A very moving and insightful post. Congratulations Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Steve! I am humbled by what recovery teaches me and brings to my life. But I also believe any person, regardless of circumstances and conditions, can benefit from the "one day at a time" philosophy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment