The Doctor Is In

Today I am grateful for my doctor and grateful to have both the trip to the dentist and the doctor out of the way for a chunk of time. (I hope at least. I'll take the status quo in these two areas.)

I have had the same doctor since we moved to town 12 years ago. Because of moves and such, that is the longest I have had the same doctor. She also delivered Sam and has been his doctor. After having male doctors, I intentionally looked for a female. I trust her and I am comfortable with her. I hope you all feel that way about your doctor and the others on your "medical team." (By the way, I like my dentist too.)

My doctor knows my history, and she takes time to answer my questions. She played a part in my breast cancer being found when it was. I had a "normal" mammogram in April of 2008. Knowing my family history of BC and discussing that and my dense breast tissue with the radiologist, they recommended an MRI. (MRI's were starting to be used more to screen for breast cancer around that time.)  It was the MRI that found my cancer.

I ponder what may have happened had that cancer gone undetected for another year or more, and it is a scary pondering. I truly appreciate the interest my doctor and a radiologist took in my unqiue set of circumstances.

There are some unpleasant aspects to yearly physicals, but I can more easily keep them in perspective in light of some of the other things I have been through. And I always feel good when I leave, like I am taking care of myself.  There was a time in my life where at least some of my actions were harming me.

Practicing gratitude is another way I take care of myself.

Comments