Bitter or Better Part 2

Today I am grateful for my job and the spirited co-workers I have. I am also grateful for sore muscles. They remind me of how grateful I am to be able-bodied.

In my Bitter or Better post a couple days ago, I talked about one of the keys to the power of gratitude. I cannot feel gratitude and self-pity at the same time, so if I choose gratitude, I do much better.

Delving further into the bitter vs. better idea, it's all about appreciating what I do have instead of dwelling on what I don't have. I appreciate the working body I have. I don't dwell on the scars, blemishes and imperfections that keep me from an ideal body. I am just glad to be healthy and whole in the true sense of the word.

That's just one of many examples. Another good one is that practicing gratitude shows me the riches of my five senses and literally and figuratively to "stop and smell the roses."

Wishing I had more or wishing I had something I don't have basically blinds me to what is in front of me. I would miss Oliver's excitement at seeing me, or the pure joy of my son's laughter, or walking in the door of my house and appreciating it all--the door, the house, my son, the dog.  You get the picture.

Bitter or better. Which will it be?

Comments