Music Flashback-The Sweet

Today I am grateful for my job and the many varied people I come into contact with there. I am also grateful for working ears to listen to the music I love.

On my way home from work yesterday, I heard the song "Love is Like Oxygen" by Sweet (a.k.a. The Sweet). As a music lover, especially rock, I loved that song when it came out in 1978. I was 13. I thank my older siblings for turning me on to some good music as I grew up listening to what they were listening to.

Favorite lines:

Love is like oxygen
You get too much, you get too high
Not enough and you're gonna die
Love gets you high

At 13, I wondered what it would feel like to fall in love. At 47, I know that love comes from many sources and takes many forms. I am blessed to love and be loved.

I just had to go to YouTube and listen to the song again. That led me to other Sweet songs. My favorite probably is "Fox on the Run," but "Ballroom Blitz" and "Little Willy" were good ones too. In the age of Wikipedia, I did a little research. There was no MTV in the 1970's and we were just happy to have a radio that got a handful of stations. I only heard the words and music. I rarely saw video footage of singers and musical groups performing, so I didn't know that Sweet was part of the glam rock movement, I just liked their music.

I read further and learned that "Fox on the Run" was about groupies and "Ballroom Blitz" was about the band being driven offstage by a barrage of bottles at a performance. I also found out that lead singer Brian Connolly died at age 51 in 1997 and that chronic alcoholism was a factor in his health issues. Drummer Mick Tucker died in 2002 at age 54, from leukemia.

I know more about Sweet than I ever did before. Everybody has a story and there are always stories behind the stories.

Share your stories today.

Comments