Touch

Living gratefully today, I give thanks for the glorious weekend weather, my legs that carried me on several walks, and for the sense of touch that connects me with the world around me.

This was a recent "Word for the Day" quote on www.gratefulness.org:

The more alert we become to the blessing that flows into us through everything we touch, 
the more our own touch will bring blessing.
(Br. David Steindl-Rast) 

The touch of my fingers on the pen and paper of my daily gratitude journal, and the touch of those same fingertips on the keyboard of my computer as I compose this post are direct connections to gratefulness. There is so much more.

The feel of the sweatshirt I put on in the early morning chill. I have clothes, plenty of them, for all seasons. For comfort, safety, and my personal style. I may have trouble picking what to wear some of the time, but only because I have too much to pick from. 

The warm water that flows as I wash my hands. I have clean water conveniently available to me in several places throughout our home. I try not to waste it, to be a good steward of one of our most needed and threatened resources. 

The knobs and handles I have used this morning to open and close various doors, cupboards and cabinets. We have ample food and a comfortable home. I have my family to share it all with. Let there be no slamming of doors or frustrated and forced closing of drawers today. Help me accept life on life's terms, regardless of what touches the hours ahead. 

When I feel connected to others and the world around me, I treat us all better. More lovingkindness and respect, more care and compassion. Today I can touch this world in meaningful and simple ways. 


Comments