Smile and Begin

Living gratefully today, I am savoring fresh coffee, recliner time next to my husband Darcy, and the view of the coming daylight and sunrise.

I took my car in for an oil change later yesterday afternoon, tired from a busy week but looking forward to the weekend. Taking a seat in the waiting area with a late afternoon cup of coffee, I noticed these coasters as I looked for a spot to put my cup down:


There was a third one in this Mother Teresa coaster collection too. Mother Teresa, now St. Teresa of Calcutta, has left behind many wonderful quotes that extend the reach of her legacy. Simple service to the suffering and a few words strung artfully together compose the story of her life. 

Smiles are a simple service we can provide one another and ourselves. Smiles are universal, free, contagious. They are even physiologically good for us--releasing more endorphins and reducing the stress hormone known as cortisol. 

Let us begin. That is all. Get up, pause in gratefulness, do the next right thing. Be kind and helpful. Lighten up. Take a break. Look others in the eye. Share laughter. Follow your heart. Focus on being more than doing. 

Smile and begin. 





Comments