Solitude in the Snow

Today I am grateful for the family time we enjoyed together this weekend and for an afternoon nap.

After a school field trip and family visitors over the last few days, I was seeking the solitude of a run. As an introvert, time to myself helps replenish and nourish me.

Yesterday morning I cleaned the house and took care of laundry, noticing that snow had started to fall. I had gotten to experience the first snowfall of the season on our school trip to northern Minnesota last week, but this was the first of the season here at home.

By the time I got a few groceries and changed into my running attire, I was itching to run and looked
forward to being out in the snow.

Taking my favorite stretch of trail through a wooded area with a corn field alongside as well, my destination was one of the top spots for me in our community's network of trails... a high bridge over the Vermillion River, near the falls. Great view anytime, spectacular amid a flurry of snowflakes. (Pardon the pun.)

It was a humbling reminder to run along with millions of snowflakes falling. A single snowflake may seem insignificant, as may I.  Whether one person or one snowflake, we all matter. We all have a reason for being. Let us honor that by being kind and gentle with one another and ourselves.

I enjoyed the peace and quiet, the time to clear my head and just be. Footfall after footfall. Taking in nature's beauty and letting go of the accumulation of tiredness, busy times, shared space.

Solitude in the snow. Just what I needed yesterday. Living gratefully. Just what I need today.

Comments