A Cup of Coffee and Reaching Incrementally

Today I am grateful for prayer as a source of comfort and strength, and for the variety of prayers I have incorporated into my mindfulness and meditation practices.

I am also grateful for a cup of coffee to enjoy this morning. Let's just say I have gotten pretty used to some daily grind to help me face the daily grind. Gratefulness abounds, even when considering a simple cup of coffee.

Here's a short list of gratitudes regarding my basic, no frills, morning coffee:

*clean and convenient water to get a pot of coffee started
*money that allowed me to purchase coffee grown and packaged by others
*the percolator we like to use and electricity to power it
*a mug from a friend to remind me of recovery and letting go
*working arms to reach that mug on a higher shelf in our kitchen

Working arms. As I considered them today, I was reminded of the weeks post-mastectomy when that wasn't the case. Just after surgery, I couldn't lift my arms much at all. As I healed, had some physical therapy, and did my exercises at home, my reach improved incrementally. I could put a shirt on over my head without help. I could reach the second shelf, then the third.

My reach improved incrementally. I healed physically and emotionally. Life goes on.

A simple cup of coffee, a pause to live gratefully in this moment, and I am feeling very blessed to have the well-being I have. Just like my physical reach healed and improved with practice and exercise, my mental, emotional, and spiritual reach grow incrementally when I practice living gratefully, when I do exercises to pause and notice daily blessings.

Daily blessings help the daily grind seem like less of a grind.

Comments