The Right Fit

Today I am grateful for improved ability to recognize and acknowledge my various feelings. I am also grateful for early morning quiet.

When we set out on our run Saturday morning, I also set out to "test drive" my new outfit, the one I plan to wear for our upcoming marathon. I never leave details like that to chance. I want to make sure the fit is good, that there won't be any chafing issues, and just that the general feel is good. This outfit included a new shorts and shirt ensemble, new socks and shoes. The run and the outfit felt great!

And I will let you in on a little secret. I am not a petite runner and I am not a "girlie-girl" who feels comfortable in tank tops. Finding shirts to wear has sometimes landed me in the men's section because the women's sizes run small, or the cut wouldn't feel right. Since my bilateral mastectomies, I have been more self-conscious about my attire, and the cut of the women's running shirts has been even harder to make work. But my new shirt fits the bill in more ways than one. I am grateful for that.

The right fit is important when choosing gear for running 26.2 miles, but also when choosing a spouse and when looking for support in recovery. I feel blessed in those areas as well. My husband Darcy and I have a strong and loving marriage that keeps getting stronger as we experience life and the rewards and challenges that come with it. The support I have in recovery, both human and divine, keep me on track or pull me back on track when I divert myself with fear and ego.

Recognizing the right fit also helps me recognize the wrong fit and motivates me to make necessary changes.I don't like the emotional roller coaster I used to ride all the time. A more balanced and even-keeled ride is the right fit for me today.

Comments