Most and Best, Least and Worst

Today I am grateful for the little things like a kind woman sharing a coupon at the pizza place, seeing a recovery friend on my run, hearing some good songs, and enjoying some of that pizza deal.

The little things really do matter. Gratitude practice has taught me that. If I am only focused on acquiring the biggies of life-family, home, job, material goods and such-I will miss all the little gifts-a cool breeze, a sip of coffee, working ears to hear a favorite song. In the process of noticing the little gifts, it becomes clear that they are really the biggies because they enrich life day in and day out.

This was a recent quote in my gratitude journal:

"This is contentment: to have the most and best in life by making the most and best of what we have." (Maltbie  Davenport Babcock) 

Contentment used to be elusive to me. That had as much to do with my alcoholic thinking as anything, but it impacted all areas of my life. Instead of looking for the most and best, I often dwelled on how I felt the least and worst. Thoughts are powerful. Mine pulled me down.

Applying a grateful frame of mind builds me up. It builds up my perception of self and surrounding world to allow contentment in the present moment. Could things be better? Sure. Could I have more? Sure. But I have what I need and much more than I deserve. Seeing the most and best in others, myself, and the world all create that expansive sense of gratitude I mentioned yesterday. Seeing the least and worst only served to constrict my already dark view.

There is gratitude on the horizon today. I will look for the most and best as the day unfolds.

Comments