The Green Lights of Life

Today I am grateful for the ease of getting safe water to drink. I am also grateful for the peaceful sound of a gentle morning rain.

Yesterday on my way to work, my first three stoplights were all green. That doesn't happen very often. I usually have to wait for at least one. Then the next two were green as well. Five for five. Another rarity. I split evenly on the next four lights, finishing my morning commute 7 for 9 in favor of green.

I appreciated the minutes I saved because I was heading to a meeting before school and I had a couple things to get done before the meeting. But what I really appreciated is that I noticed the green lights, that I offered up a thanks for a power beyond myself, that I could laugh at my seriousness and slow down a bit in my thoughts and emotions, even though I didn't need to slow my vehicle for a red light.

I can get caught up in thinking too much, in getting ahead of myself and creating a longer and longer list of what needs to get done. Yesterday morning's green lights were a message to me: give yourself the green light to ease up on your day's accelerator.

There's another reminder in all of those green lights too. Do I need to give myself the green light of courage and healthy risks more often in all areas of my life? Are there times when I need to wait for someone else to give me the green light because it is more their call than mine?

What green light will you give yourself today?

Comments