Reading Back in Time

Today I am grateful for time with my friend Jill and other friends yesterday. I am also grateful for the many journals and writings I have kept over my lifetime.

There are literally dozens of journals and books filled with poetry in various storage areas around our house. When it comes to poetry books, gratitude journals, and my personal diary/journals, they all number into the double digits. I wouldn't think of getting rid of any of them at this point. They are truly my life's story and they chronicle a wonderful journey from pain and self-pity to growth and self-acceptance. And so much more.

I was looking for a journal from a particular year last evening. I didn't find the exact one I was looking for, but I found plenty of others to take a look at. I spent a few minutes reading what I had to say over 20 years ago. What a gift to read those words, have memories sparked and details brought back to life.

What a gift to read the words from where I am at today. Older, yes. And wiser too. Wiser because all of the words I have written and books I have filled over these years have taught me so much about myself and about life.

I came across my first gratitude journal, a gift from my friend Terrie. I started using it in 1995. Of all of the writing and self-examination I have done, I would have to say that the gratitude journals have been the best springboards to personal growth, deepening faith, and a more positive perception of self and surrounding world.

Reading back in time last evening reminded me of the huge significance writing has had in my life. This blog is simply a continuation of my writing life. I am grateful for all of it.

How has writing helped you in your life?

Comments