Abundance

Today I am grateful for a good start to our son Sam's 7th grade year. I am also grateful for the rewards and challenges of my job.

The quote in my gratitude journal today is from William R. Miller. It ends with these words:

"If you wish abundance, appreciate life."

There are many ways to say what I believe is at the heart of the practice of gratitude. Miller's brief and beautiful words are another example. What we give our energy to, in both thoughts and actions, is what we will get.

Having plenty, having enough, has far less to do with the amount of "stuff" we have as it has to do with how we perceive it all. It really isn't about the "stuff" anyway. The things that hold the deepest meaning for me and produce the most gratitude aren't usually things. They are people, relationships, nature, expressions of love and caring, actions I can take like running and writing. Intangibles like faith, hope, the promise of a new day.

If I wish to be miserable, I can make that happen. I used to often. Poor Lisa.

My friend Terrie was one of the first to put me on the path of gratitude practice. It has made all the difference. I appreciate life today and it is an abundant life.

Try it. Appreciate the little things as you move through your day and see what happens, feel what happens.

Comments