A Week of Highs and Lows

Today I am grateful for the beautiful weather, a good training run yesterday, and ice cream.

The last week for many people I know seems to have been one of highs and lows. It ranged from the first grandchild arriving in my sister and her husband's family (Congratulations Dalton and Megan and welcome Rowan!), to a friend's father passing away, to a couple serious surgeries for one of my aunts, to a distant cousin's suicide, to an earthquake, to a breast cancer patient's difficult surgery recovery. My son Sam also suffered a wrist sprain that will keep him out of football for a few days. (We are so grateful that the x-ry showed no fracture.)

There's good news and bad news each week, but some weeks seem to tilt one way or the other, and this week tilted to the bad news. For the most part, I was not directly impacted by these situations, but people I care about were.  And then I listen to some news and add to the list: ebola continuing to spread, college softball players dying in a bus/semi crash, a college student murdered and no suspects in custody.

My heart goes out to those most affected by these tragedies. My heart also goes inward to count my blessings, as tragedies and losses tend to remind me of my most precious gifts-family, friends, health.

My highs and lows were work-related this week. After a rough day on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday were much better. Raging hormones and my ego were definitely a factor in my less-than-ideal Wednesday. Suiting up and showing back up on Thursday and Friday with some energy and some hope helped.

The week ended on a high note though yesterday, as Darcy and I had another successful 20-mile training run. Our marathon is only 3 weeks away now, and the excitement and anticipation build for us as it gets closer. That's the beauty of setting a goal and working hard for it. That's the beauty of being grateful for our running capabilities, our time together, our health.

Gratitude practice helps me take the highs and lows of life more in stride.

Comments

  1. I know our little Rowan will continue to make our weeks high and our breast cancer patient is doing much better and is home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it! Babies just have a way of helping us keep perspective don't they? Thanks for commenting.

      Delete

Post a Comment