Possibilities Abound

Today I am grateful for our son Sam's school and the energy and caring of his teachers. I am also grateful for my job and the opportunity to show some caring and energy myself.

I am thinking of my sister Aileen and her husband John on the sad news of the death of their cat Baxter. A gift in their lives, his loss is a painful one. Baxter began as a possibility and became a treasure.

Active alcoholism and self-pity were pretty effective at closing my mind to possibilities, unless the possibility was the relief alcohol provided and I convinced myself I deserved or needed. When you don't like yourself and your life's path, opportunity can be a painful and frustrating word. Today, I am saddened by some of the opportunities I missed, the ways I limited myself in my younger years.

That sadness, however, is now small in comparison to the gratitude that I feel for having survived those years. Slowly I came out of the fog of self-hatred and self-pity and started seeing my life with more hope.

On a daily basis, I have opportunities and choices. Gratitude practice helps me first see the opportunities and choices I used to miss. Then, the gratitude helps me pursue more positive opportunities and make healthier choices.

Onward, into the day and the possibilities it will present!


Comments