Take the days one at a time

Today I am grateful for time at the Minnesota State Fair with thousands of other fair-goers, including my brother and sister-in-law, Neal and Charlene. I am glad we could connect with them for awhile. I went with patience and acceptance and that sure helped as we walked through huge crowds.

I am also grateful for the wisdom in line 4 of the quote I am breaking down line by line: Take the days one at a time. I have written on this before and will write on it again because it is so vitally important to a life of gratitude and happiness. If I am regretting what has already happened in the course of my yesterdays, or worrying over what may come in my tomorrows, it's a pretty safe bet I am missing the gifts of today.

A day at the great Minnesota get-together was enough for me, but taking this "One day at time" attitude with me helped. I was open to the experience and enjoyed observing the people and places. (I'm not a fan of large crowds or heat.) I did get tired, but I was able to stay in a good place because I was able to stay present, not wish we hadn't come or wish we could leave right now. I kept my energy where it belonged-here and now.

That is the wisdom of taking life one day at a time. I don't waste my energy in the past or future, I keep it here and now.

Like gratitude, staying in today takes practice. But they piggyback off of each other. If I am grateful for what I have right now, I stay focused on this moment. If I stay focused on this moment, I am more likely to notice the blessings that surround me.

More on one day at a time tomorrow, but just for today, have a good day!

Comments