8,401

Today I am grateful for a new stretch of trail in our community that now takes us safely off a busy county road for running and biking. I am also grateful to be sober and in recovery from alcoholism, with plenty of supportive people in my life, starting with my husband.

If my calculations are correct, including leap years, I have been sober for 8,401 days, beginning on September 4, 1989. That's a few 24-hours strung together-but it's really just about today. One day at a time. That's all I get. That's all any of us, alcoholic or not, get. 

I could not have possibly imagined 23 years ago that I would be where I am today. And by where I am today I mean comfortable in my own skin, content with who I see looking back at me in the mirror.

In my drinking days, I was always at dis-ease (unless I had had enough to drink, then I was okay, but just for a short time), and I avoided mirrors. When I did look in a mirror, I would say "You dumb, ugly bitch."  I meant it and I felt it to my core.

I had tried quitting many times before September of 1989, one time I even made it 464 days. But I was trying to do it on my own, counting days but certainly not adding up anything close to peace and serenity. Not surprisingly, I started drinking again and drank for three more years.

In the weeks prior to September 4, 1989, a couple people intervened in my life to give me important messages regarding their concern for my drinking. Thanks Leonice and Sarah! On September 3, my Higher Power intervened and I finally understood that I needed help outside of myself. Since then, my Higher Power and many wonderful human supporters have helped me live one day at a time without a drink. I have learned so much from so many.

I am deeply humbled and grateful beyond measure.

Comments