10K

Today I am grateful for the healthy relationships I have in my life and for the warmth of my favorite sweatshirts.

Today I am up to the 10K mark of a marathon. By now I am into the run and rhythm and the crowd at the start has started to spread out. Darcy and I use the "Galloway method" when we do marathons. Every mile or so we walk for 30-45 seconds. This technique has made a huge difference in how we feel on long runs. We have avoided injury and been able to be moving fairly well the next day. It also allows us to enjoy the marathon experience more because we still have a little in the tank the last few miles so they aren't totally miserable.

The Galloway method is named for Jeff Galloway, marathoner and coach. If you are interested in starting to run, or want to run distances you can't yet fathom, I would encourage this method. Some who are just starting out may run 2 minutes, walk 2 minutes, or any combination thereof and build from there. I am thankful for the wisdom in this method.

But that first 10,000 meters or 6.2 miles is still early in a marathon too. I try not to go out too fast. It can be tempting with the crowd and excitement. Six miles in I have usually hit a groove and settled in, but I am still cautious with my energy as well.

One step at a time, one mile at a time, and then I am at 20 miles. Twenty miles is a psychological milestone for me and it is then that I get to say it's "just a 10K now."  That puts it in a doable perspective for me.

One step at a time, I head into my day. Have a good one!

Comments