"Forward is a Pace"

Today I am grateful for a healthy perspective on my job, keeping it #6 on my list after my true priorities. I am also grateful for my warm bed with my sleeping husband beside me.

I wanted to share one more reflection form the Omaha Marathon experience. My favorite sign along the route came between miles 21 and 22. The sign was held by a woman and simply said "Forward is a pace." It was just what I needed at that point. My legs were getting tight, not to mention tired and heavy. Just keep moving. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. I thanked her on Sunday and said I liked the sign. I thank her again today because it inspires far beyond the marathon.

Too often we want the quick fix or the easy route in life situations. Our society and the advertising we are inundated with certainly tout progress as easier, faster, more convenient. I beg to differ. Sometimes the slower pace is needed to figure out which fork in the road to take. Sometimes simply moving forward is enough. Even standing still but facing in the right direction can be enough at challenging times. 

The easy way or the quickest route doesn't always teach us the right lessons or help us build the persistence and stamina we need for the long haul of life. Speed is over-rated when it comes to many things.

Thanks for a good reminder in the late miles of a marathon and a good reminder for this event called life.

Comments