Voices of Hope: Family and Friends

Today I am grateful for my siblings. They are a diverse group of decent and kind people. I look forward to seeing many of them at my nephew's wedding this weekend.

I am also grateful that Darcy, Sam, and I are part of the DVD project "Voices of Hope: Family and Friends."  The DVD is a follow-up to Voices of Hope which I was in 2 1/2 years ago with 11 other breast cancer survivors. The DVD goes to newly diagnosed women and nearly 6000 copies have been distributed. 

It became clear that a companion piece for the caregivers, family and friends of cancer patients, would be valuable.  Thirty-four subjects were part of interviews in May. The producers and videographer had over 25 hours of footage to work with to create about a 25-minute DVD. This week there have been three rough cut screenings of the DVD to get input and see what final tweaks can be done. I went to two of those screenings.

I don't know how they do it, but the artistry and flow created by the three people who worked with the footage is impressive. I am again proud to be part of such a project. And I am proud of my husband and son and their grace and wisdom.

It brings quite a stream of gratitude too. I am here today to be part of this. Some cancer patients live on only in loved ones' memories. I love my husband and how he helped me through the most difficult times. I love my son and the fact that I am here watching him grow up and play football in pads and helmet.

The DVD is powerful in it's range of emotion and touchy topics like death and sex are handled gracefully. I look forward to the premiere of the final version.

Thanks to the creators and thanks to all who took part! 

Comments