Mental Exercise

Today I am grateful for a phone conversation with my friend Deb and also for the clarity that comes with reflection and meditation.

The webinar I referred to yesterday was titled "Cognitive and Emotional Effects of Breast Cancer Study."  Dr. Shelli Kesler at Stanford led the study and the webinar. You can view the webinar at www.armyofwomen.org. From the home page, look for recent blog updates.

The study looked at the ongoing effects of cancer treatment in areas such as attention, memory, depression, and anxiety. In the early days and months of cancer treatment, it is overwhelming and it can be hard to concentrate and keep a handle on tough emotions. But what about the months and years after primary treatment, like chemotherapy, takes place? I had 4 rounds of chemo (Taxotere and Cytoxan) from Sept.-Nov. of 2008. It definitely impacted my cognitive function during treatment and I believe for many months after. I felt I knew what people meant when they used the term "chemobrain." One way to describe it is that I felt I wasn't clicking on all cylinders. I was slower with my thoughts and my short-term memory seemed even shorter. I couldn''t find and recall words at times, even basic ones. This seemed to improve, but I also started on Tamoxifen and have been on it for 3 1/2 years. I think this medication has also impacted me cognitively and emotionally but it is manageable. (I am so grateful the side effects I have from Tamoxifen are minimal. I know many women who have uncomfortable side effects.)

The webinar spent considerable time talking about what cancer patients (and I would argue anyone) can do to alleviate some of the negative impacts of treatment (and aging) on cognitive function. Here are some of the mental exercises that were mentioned: active journaling, hobbies like reading, and social interaction that allows for conversation and discussion. I was glad to see those and I am grateful to say they are all in my repertoire.

Gratitude is good mental exercise as well. I am doubly blessed when I actively journal my daily gratitude in my personal journal and when I sit down to compose a blog post to share with others.

Have a good day and don't forget your mental exercise!

Comments