Favorite Author: Anne Lamott

Today I am grateful for an early morning run with Darcy and for good reminders of how fortunate I am to be sober, and to have survived my drinking days.

I am also grateful for the work of Anne Lamott. If I could only read books by one author the rest of my life, I would pick Anne Lamott. I am particularly fond of her non-fiction. This includes the following titles:

  • Operating Instructions: A Journal Of My Son’s First Year
  • Bird by Bird : Some Instructions on Writing and Life
  • Traveling Mercies : Some Thoughts on Faith
  • Plan B : Further Thoughts on Faith
  • Grace (Eventually): Thoughts on Faith
  • Some Assembly Required: A Journal of My Son's First Son.


  • I just finished her most recent book (last on the above list) and have read all the others, some more than once. They hit home where it counts most-my heart and soul.

    Anne Lamott says:
    "I try to write the books I would love to come upon, that are honest, concerned with real lives, human hearts, spiritual transformation, families, secrets, wonder, craziness—and that can make me laugh. When I am reading a book like this, I feel rich and profoundly relieved to be in the presence of someone who will share the truth with me, and throw the lights on a little, and I try to write these kinds of books. Books, for me, are medicine."
    This reader says "Mission accomplished Anne!" Thanks!

    I love the honesty, openness, and vulnerabilty in her words. I also love that I often find myself laughing outloud at her humor and genuine nature as I read. As an aspiring writer, I dream of being compared to Anne Lamott. I keep reading and re-reading her books because I always get something out of them, not the least of which is more food for thought and pure enjoyment.

    More on Anne Lamott's nitty gritty spirituality soon. In the meantime, I encourage you to pick up one of her books.

    Comments