Staying Present

Today I am grateful for the smell of bacon and for Oliver's wagging tail.

Yesterday's post "Staying Power" leads me to today's "Staying Present."

Part of my challenge when it comes to staying grateful is that when I start to worry, get fearful, or feel overwhelmed, gratitude and thankful contemplation go right out the window. I will be remorseful over something that has already happened and can't be changed. Or I will start to worry about someone I care about or a situation. Or I will start thinking of everything that needs to get done and a feeling of overwhelming busy-ness will come over me. Gratitude doesn't stand much of a chance in such an environment.

So where's the hope?  The hope lies in staying present to this moment. And present runs the gamut of physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.

If I can take life one moment at a time, one hour at a time, I don't tend to get behind or ahead of myself. It goes back to that line "By the yard life is hard, but by the inch it's a cinch."

Like gratitude, staying present takes patience and perseverance. It is a worthy pursuit for this day though. I will pause when needed. I will stop to notice the little things. I will say a prayer.

Comments