The Inconceivable Good of Smiles

Today I am grateful for a good training run yesterday, despite the heat and humidity. And I am grateful for regular connections with others in recovery.

Recently I wrote a post about too much hate and not enough kindness, compassion, and tolerance. Let's add smiles to that list. Less hate. More smiles.

"What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. These are but trifles,
to be sure; but scattered along life's pathway, the good they
do is inconceivable."

As Joseph Addison writes above, smiles can do so much good. They can break down barriers. Smiles come in a universal language. 

They can create forgiveness and fun in an instant. Think about the last time you had an irrepressible smile. I shared one the other day at the dinner table with my family. I don't recall the circumstances, but I recall the emotion: love, pure and simple.

Our grandson Leo has infectious smiles. It is pretty much impossible to not reciprocate.

And how about the toothy grins of my friend Jill and I in this selfie:


I am not a big fan of selfies, but I am a fan of more smiles 😊😀😎😍

Comments

Post a Comment