Wind-driven rain

Today I am grateful for our home, with all the quirks and flaws that come with it. I am also grateful to not only be alive, but to feel alive.

Yesterday there was plenty of wind-driven rain to greet me on my various outings. It could have easily been wind-driven snow this time of the year, but it's been a mild late fall. Either form of precipitation, when combined with a brisk wind, tends to be less than pleasant. 

I first stepped into the elements when I took Oliver for his first walk of the day. We kept it short but both of us still returned wet and cold. 

Then there was the trip across the parking lot and into school when I arrived at work. My hands were full, and the rain and stiff breeze continued. Thankfully, I had a hood and a brisk pace.

And that was after driving in the wind-driven rain from start to finish on my commute. Driving in the dark and rain has become more difficult for my aging eyes. It was two hands on the wheel and total concentration.

I could complain about it or accept it. I chose acceptance. Throw in some gratitude and there I was being thankful I could feel the cold and wet, thankful I could walk faster, thankful for my coat hood and a car that runs well and doesn't have leaky windows. Sure, I was gripping the steering wheel tensely, but at least I had a grip that works and a steering wheel to apply it to.

Something about that cold rain in my face and that wind buffeting my body made me feel more alive.
And that is where it all starts. To be alive. To feel alive.

Comments

  1. "I choose acceptance" - love that line. Thanks. Plus a dash of gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I choose gratitude and a dash of acceptance works too. Except, I need plenty of dashes of acceptance. Thankfully, there is plenty for the asking.

      Delete
    2. Nice to wake up to this gratitude attitude ! Thanks for starting my day on a positive note!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Diane! And even if I get sidetracked I can get back on track with a pause for a short gratitude list.

      Delete

Post a Comment