A Meaningful Pace

Today I am grateful for a peaceful Christmas morning and time with family.

I have a long tradition of doing a holiday letter, starting during my mid-twenties and well before meeting and marrying Darcy. I never run out of things to say and like to try creative approaches like themes and acrostics. This year's letter seemed a little flat, but it has been a challenging year for me emotionally for a variety of reasons.  Tradition is important and I enjoy composing the letter and sharing it with family and friends.

Sadly, Christmas letters from others seem to be fewer each year. Everyone feels the time constraints and something has to give. I get it. But I would still love to hear from others about what the last year has brought to and taken from their lives. A picture only says so much.

I digress though. The point I wanted to make is that when I address envelopes to mail holiday greetings, I still write each address on each envelope by hand with my pen. I know I could save time by using our computer and address labels. 

Yet, when I take the time to write the dozens of names and addresses, it becomes an exercise in gratitude. As I write each of the names and addresses, I think about that person or that family. And I think how blessed I am to have these friends and family in my life.

It isn't always about speed and convenience. The pace of life can carry us along too fast and we miss things. Or, we can choose a meaningful pace.  Today, I will choose a meaningful pace and notice more along the way. 

Comments

  1. A meaningful pace...allows time for "flexibility, frailty and fun" (stolen from Alanon reading). Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flexibility, frailty, and fun. Together they sound like a healthy way to let my guard down and feel genuine emotions. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Today I visited with your dear sister Ruth. She enlightened me about your work. Thank you for including me in your list of desired friends, and your "Habitual Gratitude". You are saying what I wish I had said for years. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you will continue to read. Merry Christmas!

      Delete

Post a Comment