Taking a Break

Today I am grateful for running coach Jeff Galloway and his run-walk-run method.

Taking a break. That is what I will do on my run this morning. Every mile or so I will walk for 45 seconds. Giving my muscles a short break and a lower risk of injury. It is called "the Galloway method" and it works. The Galloway in "Galloway method" refers to Jeff Galloway.

The 1972 Olympian has gone on to become an author and coach, reaching many runners like Darcy and I. His book, Galloway's Book on Running, is a bestseller and sets out the run-walk-run method that has enabled many people to not only start running, but to go on to train for and complete distance events they never thought possible. And many do this without injury, without even much pain and stiffness.

Check out his website at http://www.jeffgalloway.com/about/

I didn't need to be convinced to start running. I needed to be convinced to stop. Competitive with myself and setting high expectations too, I had a hard time walking during a run. Until we tried it when we got to longer marathon training runs. I have learned it is more about the best way to cover the distance, and for me on runs over an hour that includes walk breaks. The run-walk-run method has allowed me to finish all 13 of my marathons better than if I had pushed myself to run every step. I am less sore and recover more quickly as well. Neither Darcy nor I has had an injury from our many miles of running.

There's a lot to learn from the run-walk-run method, applied to overall life. Taking regular breaks for our muscles, but also our brains and hearts, actually sustains us. It allows repair and perspective.

Taking a break. That is what I will be doing over the next few days. A break from this blog. But not from practicing gratitude. That is ingrained in my daily routine. Some days the gratefulness is more sharp, other days it is more stark, but it is always evident when I look for it. In the right mindset, gratitude is one of the easiest things to find. In the wrong mindset, it is elusive. I pick easy over elusive.

See you later next week. Have a good day!

Comments