The Big A

Today I am grateful for working heat and our dog Oliver. I am also grateful for a variety of "a" words that give me direction in life.

The landmark in the picture below is visible near my sister Danita's home. She has lived near this "Big A" for over 30 years. 



It is near Hughes Stadium, the football stadium for Colorado State University, home of the Rams. Before 1957, CSU was known as Colorado Agriculture and Mechanical College, or Colorado A & M for short. Teams were referred to as the Aggies. According to historical accounts, this "Big A" was first whitewashed onto this hillside in 1924.

It serves as a good reminder to me every time I see it. The first "Big A" that comes to my mind is ALCOHOLISM. Alcoholism and other addictions impact my life and the lives of many people I care about. One of my deepest gratitudes is to be on the recovery side of my disease of alcoholism. Just for today. I can take actions and focus my attitude on the right kind of thinking and I can stay on track. Daily work on a daily disease leads to daily recovery.

The next "Big A" that comes to mind is ACCEPTANCE. Acceptance goes hand in hand with my recovery from alcoholism. Trying to control an addiction is futile. So is trying to control other people, places, or things. That leaves me to center my efforts on the two things I can control: my own ATTITUDE and ACTIONS. That's it.

The good news is that with right actions I have a healthy attitude and I can accept life on life's terms.
One of my right actions is practicing gratitude on a daily basis.  Another is exercising regularly. Another is staying connected to others in recovery.

What are some of your right actions? Keep taking them!

Comments