Adventurous or Slippery?

Today I am grateful for time with Darcy, sitting in our recliners, enjoying a cup of coffee. I am also grateful to be able to afford gifts and groceries at this holiday time.

The other morning we had a little dusting of snow on the ground. I went for a run early, in the dark, cautious with my steps. I quickly noticed that someone on a bicycle had been out earlier than I was. The single bike trail left behind by this mystery biker zig-zagged across the paved path in our neighborhood. Sometimes it veered off the path to the adjacent grass. At other times, I could see skid marks.

I wondered if this cyclist was out enjoying the fresh snow and an adventurous ride just for the fun of it or if it was a necessary trip in slippery conditions. Adventurous or slippery?

I wondered about my own life. Am I adventurous enough in the opportunities I pursue and the healthy risks I take?  Do I avoid slippery slopes like worry, fear, and overdoing?

The holidays can provide opportunities for some adventure, but they can also create some of those slippery slopes. Staying mindfully present helps keep me on the right path. Yet, I consider that I don't always need to be between the lines, or on the straight and narrow. At times, like that cyclist on a snowy morning, it is good to stretch beyond and find a little more joy.

Comments

  1. Slippery slopes of worry, fear and overdoing - well said. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think overdoing is the most slippery one for me, but the worries and fears contribute to the overdoing. So I guess some faith is warranted. Thanks!

      Delete

Post a Comment