Independence

Today I am grateful for the freedoms I enjoy and for those who help maintain those freedoms. I am also grateful for time to savor cool air, birds in song, and a cup of coffee this morning.

Happy 4th of July! It is also known as Independence Day. I am reminded, however, that July 4, 1776 was simply when our founding fathers declared independence. It took many more years and the Revoltionary War before our nation actually gained our independence.

In ways, we continue to work for that independence and freedom for all. It even seems like we have lost some ground in recent decades. Ground that many fought long and hard to gain.There are concerning signs with growing materialism and entitlement, declining work ethic, racial tensions, and deteriorating interderdependence. It takes interdependence among citizens to maintain independence in a nation.

So a declaration is a good start, but only a start. It takes plenty of work and sacrifice to bring that
declaration to fruition. Am I doing my part? Am I contributing to society in positive ways? Am I following the laws that are there for everyone's safety and security, and for justice? Am I kind and caring to my fellow Americans, both those I interact with regularly and those I may only cross paths with once?

I looked back on my previous 4th of July blog posts and include links to them here for further reading if you are interested:

Happy 4th of July-A Great Day for Gratitude  from 2012.
Freedom Isn't Free  from 2013.
Freedom from . . . Freedom to . . .   from 2014.

I close with a line borrowed from last year's post: "If we want to maintain freedom from . . . we must exercise freedom to . . .  How would you complete those lines? What can you do today?"

Comments