Listen . . . Do You Hear That?

Today I am grateful for all of five of my working senses, and especially my sense of hearing as I take in my surroundings at this moment.

I am sitting on our front patio in the early morning, about 7:00 a.m. Plenty is already happening around our neighborhood.  Here are a few of the sounds I have heard in recent moments:

-the soothing sound of our fountain
-the loud sound of garbage and recycling trucks doing their job
-a mower at the nearby golf course
-vehicles coming and going
-my husband Darcy's "good morning"
-our dog Oliver with a mild bark for a passerby
-birds singing

To help me get back to mindful presence, I sometimes pick one of my senses and focus on what gifts it is sending my way, what I can appreciate about it's ability to bring me information and pleasantries.

Today, it is my sense of hearing. I encourage you to give it a try.  Pause for a minute or two and take in all the sounds around you.

When I do this, the next likely thought/action for me is to give thanks for ears that work and to give thanks for all that my ears tell me about. From living in a city with good garbage/recycling service, to the relaxing sound of water running.

Comments