Fifty for 50

Today I am grateful for another birthday, another day. And I am grateful for relief from the "ism" of alcoholism when I reach out for help.

I have been setting myself up for a pity party in recent weeks. Slowly letting resentment, anger, fear and other fun stuff erode into self-pity and Lisa trying to run the show all by herself. "One damn thing after another" was happening and I was losing my sense of calm and mindful gratitude.

Thankfully, today I feel better. And just in time for my 50th birthday.
In no particular order...here is a gratitude list of fifty things to help me celebrate 50 years of life:

1. My physical health (even with a little skin cancer removed recently and a developing bunion.)
2. My emotional health (it gets tested at times, but endures.)
3. My spiritual health.
4. My mental health.
5. The role that gratitude plays in all these areas of health.
6. Being able to say "better older than deader" and meaning it. (Read more here.)
7. Saying "More birthdays please!" and wanting them. (Read more here.)
8. Daily recovery from alcoholism.
9. Surviving my active drinking days and dangerous choices.
10. My husband Darcy.
11. Our strong marriage and good communication.
12. Our son Sam and the opportunities to learn and grow as a parent.
13. Being a stepparent to Arthur and Emily.
14. Our daughter-in-law Alyssa.
15. Our grandson Leo.
16. Oliver, our cockapoo.
17. A sense of humor, more often than not.
18. My abilility to run and participate in other physical activities.
19. The chance to run marathon #13 later this year.
20. Tamoxifen, a proven medication for breast cancer patients.
21. Friends, new and old.
22. Support from other recovering people.
23. My seven sisters and five brothers.
24. Their spouses.
25. My nieces and nephews and the next generation.
26. My parents and what they taught us over the years.
27. The benefits of growing up on a farm.
28. The rolling hills where I grew up.
29. Ice cream.
30. Pizza.
31. Freshly brewed coffee.
32. Head massages from my husband.
33. My aunts, uncles, cousins, and extended family.
34. My five working senses.
35. All the addresses I have lived at in Iowa, South Dakota, and Minnesota.
36. No more hangovers.
37. No more blackouts.
38. Acceptance of my flat chest and scars.
39. Prosthetics.
40. Air-conditioned movie theaters.
41. My job.
42. Co-workers, students, and parents.
43. Our current home and my favorite places in it.
44. Vehicles in good working order.
45. Ceiling fans.
46. To be a writer.
47. Bluetooth.
48. Laughter.
49. This blog.
50. The love that surrounds me.

Have a good day! Make your own list, short or long. Gratitude is always possible.

Comments

  1. Happy birthday and thanks for the gift of your writing and your daily gratitude reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve! Sometimes I am the one who needs the daily gratitude reminder. Birthdays, especially milestone ones, are a good time to reflect on gifts and grace. Write on!

      Delete
  2. Its hard to me to realize your struggle with recovering from alcoholism, since from the time I met you those words had never defined you! but as I catch up with your blogs, I see the struggle is real. I admire you for sharing honestly with us!

    That honesty provides an outlet for me to be reflective as I read your posts! and of course I feel like I know you better! This is how I would describe you: " I am a daughter, sister, wife, mother, and grandmother. I am a reader, a writer, a blogger, and a gratitude practitioner. I am a runner, a teacher, a survivor, and an inspiration! I am confident, present and grateful."

    It really just comes full-circle.. the things we are grateful for begin to define us, duh.. I didn't describe you., you did! I better go have another cuppa of go-juice (coffee ;) ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your words Kristi and the wisdom of your words as well! Being defined by the things we are grateful for is worth the practice it takes to get here. Don't underestimate your own life experiences and what they have taught you and how they help you help others. I hear you on that coffee... :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment