What Are You Hardwiring?

Today I am grateful for a walk with our dog Oliver in the cool morning air, and for the birds that greeted us with their song. I am also grateful for my sense of touch, allowing me to enjoy that cool air after some high humidity.

Rick Hanson, author of Buddha's Brain, has other books to his credit. Hardwiring Happiness: The New Brain Science of Contentment, Calm, and Confidence was published in 2013 and furthers the discussion started in Buddha's Brain.

It is interesting reading and I find it validating to my efforts to practice gratitude and the benefits I reap.  The "negativity bias" of our brains that I wrote about in a recent post here takes work to overcome.

Many of you have probably heard the phrase "the neurons that fire together wire together." Where we repeatedly put our thought energy will determine how we feel, which in turn will have much to do with the decisions we make and the actions we take.

Am I making more positive connections in my brain or am I strengthening negative neural connections that sabotage happiness and health?  That may sound extreme, but it really isn't.

We are what we think. Blessing or curse? It may depend on the day, but I can at least stack more cards in my favor by adding more positive connections in my brain. That is exactly what mindful gratitude does.

I continue to learn and work on this aspect of myself. Recovery from alcoholism and the work it takes has taught me much about this as well. Today I will continue to strive for positive connections with myself, others, and the world around me.  Let the hardwiring of the better kind continue.


Comments