Next Meal

Today I am grateful for the food in our refrigerator, for the grocery store just down the road, and for money to provide food for our family.

This is another one of those things I take for granted, that many of us in the developed world take for granted much of the time. Our next meal. Knowing there will be one. Knowing we won't have to spend our day searching for it.

Yesterday Sam and I joined some others from our church youth group and many other volunteers for a two-hour shift of packing meals at Feed My Starving Children. It is a great organization doing amazing work. I have blogged about it before, as I have had the opportunity to volunteer there before. You can read more about it on their website here.

During our shift yesterday we helped pack over 30,000 meals that will feed 83 children for a year. It's a drop in the bucket when you consider this statistic we heard yesterday:  just today, over 6,200 children will die of hunger.

Sobering indeed. And I just walk to my kitchen and easily find something to nourish me.

I am grateful for my next meal. I will try to be more mindful of each meal. Thanking those who helped get it to me. Appreciating the nutritional content that gives me the energy I need. Slowing down to savor it and doing my part not to be wasteful.

Comments