Freedom Isn't Free

Today I am grateful to those Americans who have put their lives on the line to preserve freedom for us all. . . for previous generations, my generation, and future generations. Let us not lose the truth in the words "freedom isn't free."

I am also grateful for the simple pleasure of sweeping, after sweeping two patios and a driveway yesterday. We have a leaf blower that does the job quicker, but I wanted the quiet and the movement. I like any job where I can see the progress being made. I appreciate being able-bodied and soaking in a nice summer day.

Back to the 4th of July. Here is my blog post from one year ago Happy 4th of July-A Great Day for Gratitude. It is not only political freedom I am thinking about this morning, even as we watch news coming out of Egypt. I am thinking about freedom of speech as I blog my thoughts and opinions. I am thinking about more freedom and rights for breast cancer patients thanks to efforts of women like Rose Kushner and Betty Rollin back in the 1970's.

"Freedom isn't free" first gets me thinking about the men and women of the armed forces and the sacrifices they make to preserve freedom for us all. Thank you to each and everyone of you! But this morning I am also thinking about what my individual part is in protecting democracy. It starts by exercising that most democratic privilege--voting. It also means supporting those we have elected and offering them our input.

Enjoy your 4th of July! Mine will include grilling, ice cream, and fireworks. It will also include an effort to appreciate the many freedoms I take for granted most days.

Comments