"Detour got you steamed?"

Today I am grateful for the memories that come when watching our wedding video. I am also grateful for lessons learned, sometimes the hard way.

When we left for Illinois last Wednesday. We decided to take the scenic route on the first portion of our trip. We had our reasons for doing so, and had discussed it together. It didn't go well at times, but I must say the scenic route did offer some beautiful views. We had to keep reminding ourselves of that as our travels were slowed and the hours passed. First, it was a road construction detour that took us miles out of the way. Then it was many miles of curving, windy roads that kept us well below the speed limit. Then it was my speeding ticket a little further down the road. Followed by more curving, windy roads.

Situations like this don't bring out the best in Darcy and I.(Yes, even after 15 years of marriage.) Second-guessing, blaming, frustration and the like were bubbling up. At one point on that road construction detour when we were "discussing" things, as our voices elevated, we passed an old steam engine in someone's front yard. There was a sign in front of it that said "Detour got you steamed?" The timing was great. We laughed and lightened up a little. In the whole scheme of things, we were doing fine.

A few miles earlier, timing had been on our side too. We came around one of those curves and had time to slow for a deer crossing the road. We talked a little about life's close calls and how quickly things can change.

A little later, I was driving up a big hill and hit a flat stretch without paying attention to my speed. When we saw the sheriff's car, I knew it was my turn to get stopped. It fit with the way our travels had gone so far. It wasn't my first speeding ticket. My foot does get heavy at times. It gave me a good reminder to slow down and pay more attention to speed. (And to judge the drivers that sped past us on the interstate. Does anyone really need to be in that kind of a hurry? Not me.)

The ticket left me quiet, swallowing my pride, beating myself up, then accepting it for what it was-a mistake that would cost us some money, but no one was hurt and it only took 10 minutes.

Perspective. Acceptance. Arrival at our destination. Time is precious for sure, but so is arriving safely.



Comments