Extended and Extending

Today I am grateful for acceptance, a cooler breeze, an easy solution to a frustration. I am also grateful for all the families I am part of.

I appreciate my family of origin; my parents, seven sisters and five brothers. It was an interesting upbringing with a baker's dozen on the farm. It wasn't always idyllic, and it wasn't always ideal either, but it's my history and today I am proud of it. I am proud of my family and the fact that we all get along, there are no rifts that keep the siblings apart. We manage to stay connected, even with our busy lives and the distance between us.

I appreciate the extended family that now includes many nieces, nephews, their spouses and significant others, and their children. Even though I didn't get married until I was 33, I always had somewhere to go for holidays and plenty of events like weddings, baptisms, and ball games to keep me in touch with my growing family.

I appreciate my husband Darcy, my stepchildren Arthur and Emily, our son Sam and our dog Oliver.There was a time in my early twenties when I was unsure if I wanted my own family. Then, there was a time in my late twenties and early thirties when I wanted my own family but wasn't sure I would meet the right man. I am so grateful I did meet him. Here we are almost 15 years into our marriage and going strong.

I appreciate my friends old and new, my breast cancer support group buddies, and my friends who support me in recovery from alcoholism. I consider them part of my extended family too.

And then there's the present tense, extending family. It is most appropriate as we are just two days out from adding a new member to our family as Arthur and his fiance Alyssa exchange wedding vows on Friday. It is an exciting time and there is much anticipation. Each member of this family will have a part in the wedding festivities, big and small. There will be memories made, pictures taken, cake shared, milestones reached.

I am grateful to see our family growing, grateful to Alyssa and her family as her and Arthur create more connections between more families.

Have a nice day, and a nice several days. I plan to be back blogging on Monday. Thanks!

Comments